Technology has always made life easier, be at work, at home, in learning institutions you name it. We sure have to thank the father of invention, Thomas Alva Edison for starting us all of on this journey. Now today we focus on just how has technology made life easier in our kitchens. Starting from our so fond microwaves and money-saving refrigerators and what about our coffee makers for the coffee lovers. These appliances have come from luxuries to necessities in every kitchen. A recently added member to the family is the air fryer and in this article, I want to talk about how to use an air fryer. This handy unit came to the limelight in 2009 endorsed by Phillips with so much buzz surrounding it. Everyone wanted to get one and there were so many Air fryer frequently asked questions among the first-time users and to the latecomers like me, we just sat back and watched the frenzy this gadget was causing.
Just to briefly explain what an air fryer is in layman’s language; an air fryer is simply a tiny little smaller and healthier alternative appliance used for cooking. This countertop mounted appliance using convection to relay heat from the heating element within it as air is quickly gushed all around the cooking food. Depending on the type of air fryer there is almost nothing you can’t cook with this new bee in the kitchen appliance industry. Is it deep frying? It does it and perfectly at that. What about baking and grilling? Yes, and yes. It is that effective. In a few minutes, we shall get to how to use an air fryer. But first.
Why an air fryer is worth your investment.
I know the buzz around air fryers is a lot and it can be quite confusing if you’re trying to sieve through the good and the negative information about this electronic appliance. So, is an air fryer really worth my investment, you think? That’s entirely up to you but I could give you my opinion.
For those lazy cooks or just anyone who doesn’t want to spend so much time cooking, the air fryer has got your back. This thing is unbelievably fast considering the amazing quality of food it makes. This means you’ve got extra time for yourself, your heartbeat, your friends or just more time! Who doesn’t want that? Trust me, you wouldn’t want to miss out.
Nutritionists cannot insist enough on the importance of healthy living. Eating good and healthy food brings a step nearer to healthy living. Let me break it down to you. The air fryer reduces the amount of oil used in cooking by more than half. But that doesn’t mean your food will be just average and tasteless. It makes crispy and crunch chicken, beef, fish just like you would be deep frying or oven backing. So, no more excuses, healthy living is merely an air fryer away.
We just can never get enough of money and every dime we get we try to make the most of it. Now if you’re looking for a way to save an extra coin, this is the ship to board. With just a tablespoon of oil, yes, I said tablespoon, you good can cook to a savoury delicacy. That means you could spare your grocery shopping a few dollars every month. But that’s not all, it uses less energy and you know what that means. Your electricity bill can have it easy.
Space! Our kitchens are begging for even just an inch of more space and it gets so hard to achieve functionality and still have a clean layout with so little space. Some of us have cramped up our kitchens desperately trying to get all our must-have appliances fit. Well guess what, this life-saving kitchen appliance only needs a little space on your countertop and its home. I was also as thrilled as you are at this realization.
Savoury delicacies all day, any day.
Happiness is great food and great company. So have your friends over have your special someone over cause the air fryer will deliver happiness right where you are. The joy of crusty and crunchy delicacies and you don’t have to worry about gaining weight.
No culinary skills needed.
Some of us just create disasters while in the kitchen and that’s onto one is judging. But here’s the deal, who says you have to suffer the agony of being a chef for you to enjoy the good meal you deserve. Nobody right. Well, I agree and so do air fryers. All you have to do is place your ingredients, set your timer and keep calm as your plate gets ready.
I am such a friend of the universe and I bet you should be too if you already aren’t. The air fryer uses way less energy to achieve exactly the same results as the ordinary oven. Don’t say I didn’t tell you.
Easy to clean.
The oily dishes, the leftovers and the torture in cleaning are beyond words. I’ve been there so I know. This Phillip endorsed kitchen appliance comes dishwasher safer! So fret not my mate. Only 10 minutes and it’s squeaky clean.
Easy to use.
The recent models come with an automated setting, with some saving your favourite setting and others automatically shutting off once the timer goes off. It is really easy to use no manual is required.
How to use air fryer – 3 Steps
Coming in a classy white and some fancy control inscribed at the side, I had a little bit of a hard time getting a hang of how to use an air fryer. Especially because, I had never heard of it or even seen one, let alone know how to use an air fryer. But you’re lucky, you get some tips too on how to use the air fryer and care for your newly added family member.
Preparing for air frying.
Now after you’ve already bought your air fryer and you’re ready to try it out, these are just a few things you should do as you prepare for your first ever air frying to the first-timers and to the oldies, just a few things you should incorporate to your routine.
Just before you go ahead and begin your air frying adventure, there are some things you should first ensure.
- Read the manual. I can’t emphasize enough on this. You know it is there for a purpose when the manufacturer put it there for a purpose. So read it. It will guide you on how to effectively use your newly purchased appliance. Familiarize yourself with the dos and don’ts listed and look out for any tips.
- Check out for any free recipes. Some air fryers come with a free recipe book so as you unpack your air fryer lookout for this. Who doesn’t love new recipes especially those that come free!
- Get the right position for air fryer. Positioning is very important. Find a position out of the clutter and with a little preparation space around it just as you need around your stove. Position it near a socket for ease of use.
- Turn your air fryer on. Well, this one may sound so obvious but trust me, in the midst of excitement to try it out or just exhaustion, some of us may just forget to switch it on.
- Familiarize yourself with the setting. Just how much heat can this air fryer handle, are there any special features? Get to know it all as different heat setting cook food differently.
- Have an idea of what you want to cook and how you want it. Having an overall idea of your end product helps a lot in understanding just how to cook it and what settings to use.
- Preheat before adding food. This is another golden rule on how to use air fryer. Don’t forget to preheat before the actual cooking for about 2 to 3 minutes.
During air frying.
- Add water. This particularly advised when cooking foods with lots of fat like pork or even when you just want some thick stew in your food. Water should be added from time to time in small proportions in the food drawer of your air fryer.
- Don’t overcrowd the food basket. Give your food space to soak in the spices and perhaps the marinade. Overloading often results in undercooked foods or soggy food.
- Turn the food when it has cooked halfway. Just like you would normally do in your cooking, you have to give the other side time to cook too and evenly at that.
- Open the air fryer from time to time just to check for doneness. This is particularly with meat; different kind cook at different rates.
- Wobble your air fryer basket gently to prevent any sticking. This also aids in evenly cooking of the food. This also works to rearrange the ingredients hence better crispiness and browning
- Spray oil regularly. This is because after a while to oil will sink into the food there spraying a little oil will help in crisping of the food. This also helps stock sticking. Be careful not to go overboard with the oil.
After air frying.
- Don’t be in a rush to dispose of the spicy juices in your air fryer’s food drawer. This is simply because it can be used as a marinade or added to your broth to make it tastier.
- Clean immediately after use. Laziness aside mates. Far aside. This maintenance tip will increase the life of air fryer and also avoid any stickiness from the oil and food remnants.
- Use the air fryer to dry itself. Once you’ve cleaned your air fryer, switch on to a low heat setting and let it dry itself. Genius right.
General tips on using an air fryer effectively
- Adjusting your cooking temperature. Cooking with just a normal temperature may bring rather boring food. Turn up the heat and let it cook to perfection. Reducing heat is also a cool trick as it lets food cook slowly and you all know what they say about food that cooks slowly, it soaks in all the creamy and spicy tastes.
- Use oil sparingly. Remember this is the healthier alternative of cooking, so don’t overdo the oiling. Everything in moderation they say, isn’t it?
- Make French fries as often as you can. In case you are wondering why? Well, you just listen to me and tell me if you’ve had such crunchy fries yet so healthy. Don’t be left behind, make your fries and join the trend.
- Accessorize! Yes, you heard me right. Get the right accessories for different cooking techniques. You don’t have to give up your skewer. Buy a multi-purpose rack for that and a cake barrel for your sweet tooth adventures, make the most of surface for cooking using a Metal holder and for those moist richly flavoured homemade pizzas get a pizza pan.
- Invest in a kitchen spray bottle. I just prefer spraying oil that pouring it on the food. Not only does it evenly distribute the oil, but you also avoid the risk of using too much of it.
- Toothpick trick. The air fryer has a very powerful fan therefore when cooking light foods, use a toothpick to hold them down from being blown out of place.
- Use the right technique in order to achieve crunch food. Using the right technique in breading without skipping a step will avid the air fryer’s powerful fan from blowing away the breadcrumbs. Coat well with eggs and breadcrumbs and repeat it while firmly pressing the crumbs into the flesh.
- Be creative! Use different recipes, use different cooking techniques. Unless you try something new, you’ll never discover the different delicacies waiting to be discovered.
Common mistakes when using air fryer and how to avoid them.
There’s a common saying that getting it wrong is the way to getting it right. So, by now, you may have realized that there’s something you’ve been doing wrong, or maybe you actually don’t, let’s find out. Here are some common mistakes people often do when using an air fryer.
The air fryer is just like an oven and functions pretty much the same, but more effectively, therefore when I say do it just like in your oven, you shouldn’t skip the preheating.
Some air fryers heat up really fast while some not so much, therefore, it’s up to you to know your air fryer and preheat accordingly.
I’ll say it again, cook it just as you would in any other appliance. Overcrowding food doesn’t give enough space for the food to cook well. I know the air fryer comes in small sizes and you may want to cook more, but it doesn’t work like that. If you’re cooking for a large group, start your cooking earlier and cook in portions.
Not adding water.
Unless you’re trying to have dry food without any spicy juices, there’s no fun in that. Adding water also helps in helping the food well and avoiding any sticking on the air fryer. So next time you’re cooking with your air fryer, don’t forego this golden rule.
Poor cleaning may just be the reason for your weird tasting meals. If you don’t clean it well, that results in a build-up of leftover that may even result in a foul smell. Here’s how to wash your air fryer squeaky clean.
- Once you’re through with the cooking, ensure the air fryer is off if it does not automatically shut off after cooking.
- Gently take out the air fryers pans, trays and other removable.
- Under running water, thoroughly rinse out any leftover foods and oils.
- Soak the removable in soapy water. Warm water is advisable due to the oil.
- Gently scrub them looking out for any food remnants.
- Dry with a kitchen towel.
- Switch on the air fryer and let it dry out any remaining water droplets.
- Wipe the outside of the air fryer with a moist but not wet cloth to get rid of any dust. This should be done regularly.
Considering the skyrocketing prices these gadgets fetch, you’d better handle them with care. This not only gives you value for your money but also increase the life span of the air fryer. Keeping away from the reach of kids as they tend to be a little playful.
Not reading the user manual.
I am so guilty of this. I know so many of you bypass the manual and in the excitement of purchasing a new gadget, we go straight to using it. Let’s stop that. The manual contains a lot of helpful tips and guidelines by the manufacturer on how to effectively use it. So read that manual mate.
Comparing your air fryer to others.
Different air fryers have different capabilities so if your air fryer doesn’t do battered fish, do not try battered fish in there it will only blow upon you. Follow the guidelines on how to use that particular air fryer.
Now that you’re fully equipped with knowledge on how to use an air fryer perfectly, you go out and experiment. Be creative with your recipes. Have some friends and family over and share happiness. Image source: itsJudysLife